Admin

Mac 'n Cheese - Russian-Style 🇷🇺

Post by Chowhound »

IMG_1616.JPG
3 cups uncooked whole wheat macaroni, penne, or any small pasta
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups shredded carrots (about 6 whole carrots)
1 red bell pepper, 1/2 inch dice
3 cups shredded cabbage
1 bunch spinach, stemmed
1/2 bag of frozen peas
32 oz cottage cheese
4 oz shredded white cheddar cheese
handful of sunflower seeds and flax seeds
lots of black pepper
handful of panko breadcrumbs (optional)

Preheat your oven to 350° set your pasta water to boil. Cook the pasta according to the box directions, omitting any added salt or oil. Over med-high heat, heat your oil. Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute before adding the carrots and pepper. When the veggies have softened, add your cabbage to the skillet, stirring in order to prevent sticking or burning, for about 5 minutes. Begin adding your spinach. I typically do this is stages, as it is nearly impossible to add the spinach all at once. Just put in a handful, stir around until it wilts, then add more. When the spinach has been added, add your peas, cooking an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat. In a large bowl (I usually just use the pasta pot to avoid extra dirty dishes) combine the veggies, pasta, cottage cheese, 1/2 of the cheddar cheese, and the seeds. Add lots of black pepper. Put the mixture in a large casserole dish coated in cooking spray. I have a great oval casserole dish, but I have also used a regular 9 x 13 pan. When I use a deeper dish, baking time is usually increased, as there is less surface area for moisture to be released--just keep that in mind when choosing your pan. Top with the remaining cheddar cheese and if you would like, a little breadcrumbs. Bake for about 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for about 5 minutes. Then spoon out into warmed bowls and serve.
Peace At The Dinner Table - Good Food Has No Borders!