Arroz Con Salchichas (Rice With Vienna Sausage)

Chowhound
Admin

Arroz Con Salchichas (Rice With Vienna Sausage)

Post by Chowhound »

640x960.jpg
3 Cups Long grain white rice,uncooked
2 Sm Cans of Vienna sausage
1/2 cup green stuffed manzanilla olives, halved
3 Cups Water
2 Tablespoons Sofrito
1 Tablespoon Tomato Chicken bouillon powder
2 Tablespoons Tomato paste
2 Tablespoons Canola oil
1 Teaspoon Adobo
¼ Teaspoons Garlic powder
¼ Teaspoons Onion powder
1 Teaspoon Packet of sazon w/ culantro & achiote

Ok let's start, wash your rice under cool water until the water runs clear. Set the rice aside for now. Open up your cans of sausage, take out all your Vienna sausages BUT don't discard the water . Start cutting the sausages in 3 pieces. Take a pot and set it over medium heat. Add the oil. To the oil add the tomato paste. Add the sofrito, adobo powder, packet of sazon with color, chicken bouillon (the one with tomato flavoring and has a nice flavor), garlic powder, onion powder, and the olives. Remember that can of Vienna with its juice I asked you not to discard? - well throw it In there and stir it well. Its Finally time to add the Vienna sausage. Stir the mixture well and than add your washed uncooked rice. Mix It all well. After you have added the rice and mixed it in well like I did , it is time to add the water. Add a few sprigs of fresh cilantro. I had none so I pulled out my frozen ones. We will than wait until all the water has evaporated before moving. The water has been absorbed into the rice. So now we will put all the rice Into the center of the pan. It's the way I was taught to do it, it's totally optional NOT. Lower the heat, put a piece of foil over the pot NOT on the rice. Put a cover on it an cook It for about 20-25min. Do not peak!! , you will know too when the rice is almost done when you start to smell the rice and it's seasoning. Let's check our rice... Ahhh nicely cooked and grainy with a bite, NOT mushy at all!! And there you have it arroz con salchichas which translates to rice with Vienna sausage. Serve this with some habichuelitas (beans) and some sweet plantains.
Peace At The Dinner Table - Good Food Has No Borders!