maxresdefault.jpg
1 lb ground beef
2 cups leaf lettuce; chopped 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup cheddar cheese; grated
1 cup onions; chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
12 crispy taco shells or
12 6-inch flour tortillas

There are three things that make these tacos different: no spicy taco mix is used, leaf lettuce is used instead of iceberg, and diced canned tomatoes are used instead of fresh. Being in the service we often had to improvise and this particular recipe evolved over the years and turned out to be our favorite. First, I want to give credit for the taco meat to a friend of mine from Loring AFB, Maine, in 1976, Tina Brown. She taught me to only flavor the ground beef with ground cumin and none of those yucky pre-packaged spices. This has always been a favorite with family and friends. Brown the ground beef in a skillet with the cumin. Drain off the excess fat. Heat the taco shells or flour tortillas, either in the oven or microwave. Add about 2 tablespoons of cooked meat to each taco shell or tortilla, then chopped leaf lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and top with the grated cheddar. The whole secret to using canned, diced tomatoes is to drain them well. Who can afford fresh tomatoes anyway? Sprinkle salt if desired and add other optional items such as sour cream or salsa.