Josie Meekins (RHS '61), Riverton, WY
DSC_0003.jpg
5 heaping cups flour
1 heaping tablespoon salt
2 heaping tablespoons baking powder
1 level tablespoon instant yeast
5 heaping teaspoons bacon grease
about 18 ounces warm water
peanut oil for deep-frying (or olive, vegetable, lard, bacon grease)

This recipe was handed down to me from my mother, who got it from her mother, who got it from her mother, who got it from her mother. My daughter has made them too so the recipe has been in use for at least six generations. It’s a very simple and can be used as a dessert fry bread or as an ‘eating utensil’ for beans or green chili. I’ve seen them sprinkled with cinnamon sugar or spread with honey. All delicious. The measurements were never written down so these are approximate. Mix ingredients thoroughly until it doesn’t stick to hands-add small amount of flour if necessary-and work the dough until smooth. Meanwhile, heat oil. Roll the dough into little spheres a bit bigger than golf balls. Roll out into the size of a tortilla (about 8 inches). Cut into quarters. Drop one at a time into hot oil and cook both sides until light brown. They will puff up but this is desirable; don’t puncture them. Drain on paper towels then transfer to a large bowl lined with fresh paper towels. Then use the buñuelo as a ‘spoon’ with a fresh pot of pinto beans or green chili-or just eat plain.